- Applicants must submit the citizenship form along with all the documents listed in the checklist.
- Citizenship form, along with the checklist, will be available for download from the Ministry Website.
- Once a fully complete application is submitted, the Ministry will review the application and supporting documents and when all the eligibility requirements have been fulfilled and satisfied under the Citizenship Act of Maldives, the Ministry will send the application to the President’s Office for a decision. The applicant will be contacted to inform the outcome of the application.
- he is a Muslim;
- he has attained the age of 21 and is of sound mind;
- he has resided in the Maldives for a continuous period of 12 years; he shall be deemed to have complied with the said requirement. if he has resided abroad, provided that the period is not more than 6 months, and has resided in the Maldives for a period amounting in the aggregate to more than 10 years.
- he has an adequate knowledge with regard to the Maldivian Constitution.
- he can orate in Dhivehi language; and has adequate edification.
- he has not committed a political offence, offences where Hudud punishments are prescribed in Islamic Shariah, or unlawfully produced, distributed or traded drugs.
- he is of distinguished service to the Maldives.
- if he is a citizen of any country other than Maldives, provided he has renounced the citizenship of that country in accordance with the law therein force in that behalf and has officially notified in writing such renunciation tothe Government of Maldives.
Who can apply?
- Foreigners, if they meet the conditions required to apply for Maldivian citizenship.
Where can you apply?
- Applicants should submit their citizenship applications to Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Maldives,
- Applications will be rejected if the applicants do not meet the criteria.
Documents to be submitted.
- Occupation and work experience (Letter from current Employer and References from previous work places)
- Educational qualification (Accredited copies of the Certificates, Diplomas, etc.)
- Knowledge of the Maldives Constitution (Result of the exam given by the Attorney General’s Office)
- Able to converse in Dhivehi (Result of the exam given by the Attorney General’s Office)
- Knowledge of basic education curriculum of Maldives (Result of the exam given by the Ministry of Education)
- Mental soundness (Submit a medical certificate)
- If newly converted to Islam, proof of conversion to a Muslim with date and place stated on the document.
- Date of first entry into the Maldives and details of next exits and entries obtained from the Department of Immigration and Emigration.
- Official document from the Government of current citizenship which states that they do not have any objection in the applicant relinquishing his / her citizenship.
- A declaration from the applicant stating that he / she is ready to renounce the current citizenship upon receiving Maldivian citizenship.
- Police Report from the Country of origin.
- Police Report from the Maldives Police Service.
- Reference letter from the current employer
- Copies of academic certificates accredited by a government agency.
- Copies of other educational certificates.
- If married and has children, information of children (Copies of marriage certificate, birth certificate (s) of children and school details of children who are studying)
- Criminal Reports/Record on political offences and an offence for which a hadd is stipulated in Islam as well as drug related offences.
Criminal Records to be obtained from:
- Prosecutor General’s Office
- Criminal Court
- Civil Court
- Family Court
- High Court
- Maldives Police Service
- Department of Penitentiary and Rehabilitation Service
Fees taken for the service.
- No fees are taken for this service.
- For additional information, please contact the Ministry Hotline no: 7983400 or send a mail to consular at (